SOCIAL MEDIA FOR SMALL BUSINESS: WHEN TO POST AND HOW OFTEN.
Updated: Jul 5, 2018
One of the most common questions we get asked in terms of managing social media channels, is when and how often should you post content about your business? Is it three times a day, three times a week, as much as humanly possible, or just whenever you happen to get the chance (perhaps the reality for many of us)? And when exactly is the best time of day/week to reach your audience?
While a simple search will confirm just how many theories there are on the subject, it’s important to make sure that the advice you follow is relevant to your location (consider time zones), industry and target market, as well as being as up-to-date as possible. In other words, what works for a hair salon in Sydney may not be best for a dental practice in London, and chances are the strategies that were effective five years, may no longer be today.
One thing that may surprise you is that the recommended frequency is a lot less than it used to be. While in the past, businesses were encouraged to share content at a prolific rate, studies now show that over-sharing can actually increase your audience drop off rate (think spam).
For the small business owner, the degree of information out there can be overwhelming, which is why we’ve taken the guesswork out by summarising the main points for you. While there's rarely a one-size-fits-all solution (and all social media strategies should be formulated on an individual basis), the following recommendations can certainly serve as a starting point for you and your business:
• Timing: Between 12pm and 3pm on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Between 12pm and 1pm on the weekends. (Source: Hootsuite)
• Frequency: Up to 2 times per day. (Source: Buffer)
• Timing: 12pm to 1pm Monday to Friday. (Source: Hootsuite)
• Frequency: 1-2 times per days. (Source: Buffer)
• Timing: 3pm Monday to Friday. (Source: Hootsuite)
• Frequency: 3+ times per day. (Source: Buffer)
• Timing: 7:45 am, 10:45am, 12:45pm, and 5:45pm Monday to Thursday. (Source: Hootsuite)
• Frequency: 1 time per day. (Source: Buffer)
With all this in mind, it’s important to remember that it's often the quality of the content you share that determines audience reach and engagement. In other words, try to spend some time (whether it be a couple of hours a week or one day a month) planning and scheduling some interesting and engaging content to avoid “panic posting”.
Your audience will appreciate it.